8.12.2010

Olympic Sculpture Park - Belltown

Olympic Sculpture Park in the Belltown neighborhood of Seattle is one of my favorite places to visit on a sunny day. It's a fun (and FREE) place to experience modern art in an outdoor setting with a sweeping view of local landmarks (i.e., the Space Needle, Mount Rainier). A great place for a stroll with a date, eating al fresco with friends or enjoying some quiet time with your favorite book!

Eagle (the red sculpture on the top left) by Alexander Calder

Wake by Richard Serra, one of the most successful artists of this era. He is famous for using sheet metal.

Washer/dryer (made of plywood) in the weeds by Whiting Tennis. It's one of those art pieces where I think "I could do that myself!" Of course, the reality is I probably couldn't.

Father and Son by Louis Bourgeois.

Split by Roxy Pain.

My favorite piece at this park: Typewriter Eraser, Scale X by Claes Oldenburg.

You can also look at this sculpture from highway.

Sorry for the lack of food posts in the last few days. I'm off to Portland now. Have a nice weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I love the typewriter eraser too! (I actually remember USING typewriter erasers. Does that date me?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made it up to Seattle yet...thanks for the mini tour ;o)

    Looking forward to your future food posts.

    Thanks for introducing yourself during my roasted garlic post.

    Have a great time in Portland and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool spot! I think I'd like to stroll with a date, eat al fresco AND enjoy some quiet time with my favourite book here. Perhaps not all at once though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sculptures, I think the washer dryer is really funny!

    ReplyDelete